Friday 28 May 2021

New 2019 Desktop PC in 2021

I finally setup a new desktop pc after thinking about it since 2017. My previous desktop is using a 2010 processor. After the long period, the only original part of that set is left the cpu, cooler and chasing. I have burn 2 motherboards and few hard disk. My RAM is in bad state as it will easy gone MIA from time to time. 

The main reason I finally change it because I cannot watch movie from Youtube smoothly, it keep lagging and loading slow. 2K mode is a stretch and 4K mode direct die out.

So I tried to get an Intel i5 11th 11400, due to the pandemic, the stock is very rare and I cannot get it from anywhere. I need to make order and wait for it to be available. So I switch to AMD Ryzen, and to mine surprise, the newer model has exceed my budget. It is way expensive than Intel and it is crazy to me.

I tried a few shop but all need to bundle a full set computer, including casing. It is not acceptable for me. So I keep on trying to find alternative. Finally, I got one shop who allow me to only purchase CPU and motherboard only. 

I purchase the AMD Ryzen 5 3600, which is a 2019 chip without GPU and a B450 motherboard and a DDR4 2666Mhz RAM.

At that time, I didn't care much of these spec as I just want a new computer. 

Later on, my friend told me that I had purchase the weaker model of the motherboard as the B450 Tomahawk Max 2 is older chipset and I should get the B550 Tomahawk instead. But the price different between these two is RM300 and for that I will get a PCIE 4.0 slot for GPU which I don't have any and unaffordable to get one with current crazy chaos price. 

A higher ram support but my CPU can only support up to 3200 which B450 need to overclocking it to support and due to my own mistake, I didn't check the ram speed, the shop owner gave me a 2666Mhz, which actually suit for the motherboard. 

I don't have high speed M2 SSD as of now and damn fuck if I need to change hard disk again to reinstall windows again. I have format quite a lot for the pass year and I am very tired to do so again. (I end up format the SSD again due to other reason)

For the rest, all seem to be fine for me. B550 might have the ARGB direct support but I am not fond of that lighting stuff. For that extra RM300, I end up purchase another 3200Mhz ram to make a dual channel ram.

With these three component, I should have enough to set up a new desktop. But life always have a twist. I notice that my PSU also from the original setup and it has used for the pass 11 years, normal PSU has a life limit of around 5 years, which I have exceed it too extreme. This force me to change the PSU. I went to another shop to purchase a 650W bronze level but the shop told me it is out of stock, so I purchase gold level instead as it has 10 years warranty. This has double the budget of my PSU.

The next issue I notice is I put my cooler in wrong direction that block my ram slot. So I have to rearrange it that force me to purchase a thermal paste. After that, I read some review that the stock cooler is not enough as in my old case, the air flow is making the cpu run higher than normal even I have added two new case fan. So I order a new cooler that match my case height limit. 

Then I spot a promo price for a very damn nice case that can support very high cooler which mean better cooler. I tried to replace my order with a better cooler and the store owner allow me. But, life is full of but, the case is a scam alike, it was a mistake pricing and my order for the case is cancelled. 

Now I end up with a higher cooler that cannot fit in my case. This make me mad so I order a new case that will fit my cooler. I torn between two choice of case, Thermaltake T200 TG which has a rgb light beside the frame or a normal design Cooler Master Masterbox NR600. After a few thought, I opt for the NR600 as my case will be under my desk and most of the time I wouldn't see it. It has better air flow compare to the H200 as its front is a mesh that allow air direct being pull to the case. 

So when the case and cooler delivered, I started to transfer the motherboard to new case and install the new cooler to it. I face some issue of screwing the cooler to the board, it seem that one of the leg is a bit de-align and I tried a few times only to able to solve it but not in a perfect condition.

The assemble took me around 3 hours to complete it. I still need to do minor adjustment on the cable for time to time. One of the big issue I keep facing is when I open the right panel and close it again, the SSD tend not to be detected. I don't know why, then I notice I install SSD to SATA 2 and my normal HDD to SATA 1. I switch both of it and will see if this happen again.

Now my whole set of computer is complete. It is a long journey with full of obstacle and careless mistake in part but to my life philosophy, nothing is perfect, the perfect thing is imperfect.   

As for my ram, when I am using single ram 2666Mhz, I keep feeling I am missing something, so I order another ram, 3200Mhz. I put it to slot 2 and 2666 in slot 4. The system XMP will adjust it to 2666Mhz. Then I switch these ram and now the XMP will detect it as 3200Mhz. I didn't adjust the rest of the setting. So now in theory, I have 32GB of 3200Mhz running in dual channel. I did a benchmark and the ram performance is better than last config. I ask the MSI support on my configuration on whether it will damage my ram in the long run, they said as long as the XMP is in auto setting, it should be fine. Guess I will just have to take their word on it.

The final touch will be the 2 blue case fan for the front in-take.

Here is the spec for my new desktop:

Main component:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Hyper X 2666 16G

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max 2

Unplanned add-on:

Cooler Master V650 Gold

Cooler Master Slickleflow 120

Cooler Master Masterfan MF120L blue x 3

USB 3.0 PCIE Card

TP-Link T9UH

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo Red

Cooler Master MasterGel Pro V2

Cooler Master Masterbox NR600

Seagate 4TB portable

Hyper X 3200 16G

TP-Link AX50


No comments: